Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Riddle me this... Guess who's coming to...

A friend called me a few weeks back saying that he was going to bring his wife and dog back east to visit friends and some of her family. He was wondering if he could stay with us.

“Of course you can stay with us. It’d be our pleasure to have you stay with us. We haven’t seen you & your wife since your wedding in August and we came out for the ceremony. It’ll give us a nice opportunity to get to know her.”

Background info: I’ve known him for 15 years. He’s a wonderful guy that would do anything for you. But he doesn’t care much for planning. I guess you could say he’s a fly by the seat of his pants kinda guy. As an example, he didn’t RSVP for my wedding. He didn’t RSVP for a few of our mutual friend’s weddings either. Things do seem to work out for him though. He’s one of those guys that falls into a pile of shit and comes up smelling like roses.

So he’s going to call me last week to firm up the plans.

No call. I'm not sure if he’s going to come or not. Knowing him though he’ll be here when he shows up and rings my door bell. Life got in the way the past couple of weeks so I didn’t get a chance to call him to see what was up. My Dad needed to have a minor procedure and my sister came into town to help out & be supportive. So they are both staying with us. Therefore we don't have any extra beds or rooms for them. I called this past weekend in the hopes that I just might catch him before he started east…Nope. Got the answering machine. And guess what no cell phone number. No idea who or where he’s staying before he might be out my way so no way to catch him en route.

Anyways, I left work a little early on Monday (7/1) and get home to my Sister who tells me he’s 30 minutes out of town and headed our way. At this point I’m starting to stress and get a little pissed off since I didn’t hear from him in 2 weeks and now he’ll be here in no time.

Everything turned out OK. They ended up at a hotel 5 minutes up the road. They came over for dinner Monday night. (Peach and ginger glazed tuna steaks) On the 4th I took them on a tour of Pittsburgh, nice lunch on Mount Washington, beers at a local brewpub, and dinner at the house. (Roasted garlic and rosemary pork loin)

So my question is this: Am I right to be pissed that he didn’t call to firm up plans? Am I too pinched up for my own good? Afterall, everything turned out OK.

2 Comments:

At Thu Jul 06, 06:41:00 AM 2006, Blogger Michelle said...

I feel you have a right to be pissed. To me it's common courtesy to check in before you arrive - especially if you're planning on staying at someone's house. Obviously you didn't need the extra stress. I'm glad everything worked out in the end.

 
At Thu Jul 06, 09:19:00 AM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Yes.

Word.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home