Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Vacation day #3

HC and I went to different museums today. (You can't swing a dead cat in DC and not hit a museum.) I went to the Air & Space Museum + the Annex. HC went to the Gallery of Art, the Hirshhorn, and the sculpture garden.

I've always been facinated with military aircraft and spacecraft so the Air & Space Museum really let me get my fix. I got to see some of my favorite aircraft and spacecraft. (The P-51 Mustang, P-38 Lightning, P-40 Warhawk, X-15, SR-71 Blackbird, Spitfire, Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo capsules, and some really cool lifting bodies) Lifting bodies: Remember the TV show the 6 Million Dollar Man? In the intro to the show they show a spacecraft wrecking in the desert. The craft wrecking was a lifting body.

Dinner was at McCormick & Schmick’s. I know it's a chain but they do a good job.

3 Comments:

At Wed Sep 06, 10:47:00 AM 2006, Blogger Osquer said...

Oh my gosh! I love the Hirshhorn!

HC, do they still have the room with the huge screens showing black tops spinning and colliding with each other? I loved that room!

I found Air & Space fascinating, too, especially because I went during the big Star Trek exhibit.

 
At Wed Sep 06, 10:56:00 PM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

I have friends who live in DC. They've been after us for a while to go visit...

 
At Thu Sep 07, 08:39:00 AM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

PW: You should go. It's a good time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home