Thursday, September 07, 2006

Vacation day #5

Knowing it was the Labor Day weekend AND the remnants of Ernesto were coming through DC, we took our time heading for home. We knew the beltway was going to be congested no matter what time we left so why bother getting stressed about it.

So we stopped in the National Gallery of Art to look at the Henri Rouseau exhibit. I stopped in the gift shop of the Air & Space museum to buy some souveniers. (I'm such a tourist) We had a nice lunch and headed for home.

We didn't know HOW congested the roads were going to be until we got on the beltway. It was bumper to bumper from the beltway to Breezewood. What should have taken us about 2 hours to drive took over 3 hours. The heavy traffic didn't bother me as much as all the speeding up and slowing down. One minute you're going 25 MPH and the next 70 MPH. Then back down to 45. Bumper to bumper at 70MPH doesn't bother me. The speeding up & slowing down is dangerous. It never rained hard enough to merit driving 25 MPH. The roads were wet but the visibility was fine. Whatever... It was what it was...

We decided to stop for dinner 2 hours into the ride home in Frederick, MD at the Mountain View Diner. When it comes to food I'm very strange. I love gourmet food but I also love the greasy nasty food. I don't know why!?! I just love food as long as it's prepaired well.

HC had her expectations set pretty low since it was a diner. A greasy spoon. But I told her some diners make some pretty good food. AND it'll be reasonably priced. It's not like we're going to a tourist trap restaurant.

I had the Lamb Shank and HC had the Mousaka.

Greek food at a diner you say? Yep. Greek food at a diner. It couldn't be any good could it? Yes it was.

The reason: I watched a TV show about diners a while back and they stated a high precentage of diners were owned and operated by people of Greek origin/decent. They didn't explain why but the fact of the matter was "A high percentage of diners was owned by people of Greek origin/decent". Who knew?!?!? So yes, the Greek food at the diner was pretty good. Not the best Lamb Shank or Mousaka we've ever had but it was pretty good AND reasonably priced.


After our meal we got back on I-70 and made it to Breezewood. I never thought the sight of Breezewood would make me happy. (I can't believe I'm writing this but it's true). From Breezewood to Pittsburgh it was the standard 2 hours.

Home sweet home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home