Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Let go of the peanuts

A friend posted about letting go of things that stressed her out, kept her down, worried her, etc... I made a remark about “Letting go of the peanuts”. Tiffanie wanted to know what I meant by that phrase…This is a bit long and drawn out but you need the background information to set up the proper context.

It’s something strange, silly, and profound. (This will give you a small taste of how the Chowdery mind works. Be fearful.) I saw this many years ago but didn’t understand the lesson from the story until decades later.

When I was young, the Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company sponsored a TV show called Wild Kingdom. Marlin Perkins would coolly narrate a scene as his faithful sidekick Jim Fowler wrestled with a Boa Constrictor or some such dangerous animal. The Amazing Grace and I were addicted to that show. Just loved it. I always thought it was funny how Marlin was always safe at the studio while poor Jim was “interacting” (wrestling, netting, darting, rolling, etc…) with a dangerous/deadly animal (Lion, tiger, Boa Constrictor, rhino, etc…).

Anyways, one of the segments they had illustrated how the natives of some far off exotic land captured monkeys.

The natives would take a coconut and drill 2 holes in it. 1 of the holes was used to attach a chain. The chain would be attached to a tree. The other hole was just large enough for a monkey to put his hand/paw in. The natives would then put peanuts into the coconut and wait for the monkeys. The monkeys would see the peanuts inside the coconut, reach into the coconut to get the peanuts and voila!! They’re caught.

The monkeys would not let go of the peanuts. They’d screech and scream, pull and tug at the chain, try to climb the tree but they would not let go of their prize. The natives would come up and either net or bonk the monkeys and scoop them away.

Years latter it dawned on me that sometimes I/we are like that monkey in regards to "life stuff". “If I let go of the peanuts I won’t get scooped up.” I can get so fixated on something I don’t see the solution. I need to let go (back away) to get perspective. Some things are in our control but so many of them are not. We need to let go of the things outside of our control. Otherwise we’re going to end up like that screeching monkey. Caught!


When things are crazy, I try to remember to "let go of the peanuts". It's silly but it works for me.

I’m not sure this made any sense to you. I hope you don’t feel you’ve wasted your time reading this. But there you have it “Let go of the Peanuts!”

6 Comments:

At Wed Nov 15, 09:00:00 PM 2006, Blogger Michelle said...

How profound! I love it! :)

 
At Wed Nov 15, 09:56:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Michelle: Thanks. Like I said it took years for me to make that connection.

I don't know why I thought of that episode and came up with that analogy.

Mysterious workings my brain...

 
At Fri Nov 17, 12:13:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a waste of time at all. Thanks for spelling it out. I like it. :)

 
At Sat Nov 18, 08:42:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Tiffanie: I'm glad you liked the explanation. It's weird but it works for me.

Sometimes you just have to let go. Hanging on causes more problems than it's worth.

 
At Mon Nov 20, 03:32:00 PM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Good post.

 
At Mon Nov 20, 07:07:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

PW: Cool. Glad you liked it.

And relieved you all understand what I'm trying to say.

I've got to follow my own advice at the moment. I'm hangin' on to some peanuts for dear life!

Must let go....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home