Tuesday, November 07, 2006

How was your trip Chowderhead?

I'm going to break my trip up into a few posts just to stretch things out.

Background information: S went on and on about last year's get together and all the great people he met. When I heard there was going to be another get together I couldn't miss it! He was right, 5 star, A#1 party.

Friday: Getting there was a bit of an odyssey. We pulled away from the gate in PIT and waited for 10 minutes. The pilot finally came on and announced they can't get engine #1 started. They've called for a mechanic. We need to sit & wait. 10 minutes later the pilot came on and said they've not been able to get a mechanic so we're headed back to the terminal. (Better to find out now that there's a problem!) I get off the plane and bee line it for the Special Services counter to make alternate flight arrangements.

Me: Hello. I was just on flight @#$%. It had mechanical difficulties and came back to the terminal. I need to get to Dallas by late afternoon. I don't care what route. I don't have any checked bags.

Special Services rep: OK. Let me see what I can do for you...

5 minutes later I'm booked to CLT on the next flight out. The flight was uneventful.

I was wondering if the CLT to DFW flight was the same one S and B were on since they were supposed to fly from CLT to DFW and arrive about 4:15. I bet it is. I'll look for them when I land...

Sure enough at the first bar I get to S and B have been there for a few hours drinking Guinness!! Bastards! I sneak up behind them and say "A funny thing happened on the way to Dallas" With startled looks they turn around. We have a good laugh as I tell them about my first attempt to leave PGH.

We flew to Dallas with the touring company of the Radio City Rockettes and a few midgets (dwarfs, small people, wee folks. I have no idea what the proper term is but I'm sure I'm not being PC about it)

Anyways.. A few observations..



  1. The Rockettes DO NOT travel light. Each one of them had 2 XXXL "Carry ons" that had problems fitting in the overhead bins. You'd think for the travelling group they'd know exactly what size bags to use. They should have it down to a sciene. But they didn't.
  2. You'd think they'd move along quickly and be seated. Get the flying part over quickly. Nope. They had to mull about. Chit chat. And generally hold up the flight taking off for 10 or 15 minutes.
  3. They are young. Most of them looked to be in their late teens early 20's.
  4. They were OK looking but not HOT!! You'd think for dancers they'd be smokin'. I guess make-up and being further from the audience... S told me it's more about their build and dancing ability than their looks. Models need to look hot but dancers not as much.
  5. They're a very nice, friendly, enthusiastic bunch.

I noticed the midgets in the terminal.( I don't see midgets everyday.) I noticed there were quite a few of them. I was wondering if they were headed to a convention or something. Well, it turns out they're part of the Christmas show the Rockettes are putting on in Dallas.

Save for the midgets and dancers the flight was uneventful.

I've come to the conclusion I have a midget curiosity and a slight Rockette's dependency. :-)

Anyways...

We hang out at the hotel with some of the other people coming in for the get together. Really cool people. They came from all over the world and all professions. Their common thread is they're guitar or bass players who are passionate about Music Man instruments.

The evening was spent at
Love and War in Texas. The BBQ was outta sight. The ribs came off the bone, the beef brisket was fork tender, the chicken was perferctly Tex-Mex flavored. The BBQ sauce was sweet with just a hint of fire. Fabulous! And, Shiner Bock in buckets!

After dinner, BP started things off by having the birthday boy's band start things off with a set. Then it was open jam time. BP would call members of the forum up to the stage. They'd pick their instrument of choice and jam. It was a blast to watch & listen to all these musicians with different styles and techniques. The music was great. They are all so talented. (I haven't touched my guitar in over 15 years but this weekend has inspired me to pick it up and give it a shot.)

Everyone was so nice eventhough I'd never met them before. Friendly, funny, approachable, and partiers!!! B commented Saturday morning about how much S and I drank. He thinks I must have had at least 2 buckets of beer. S agreed. All I'll say is "I wasn't counting! Or worried! Since I wasn't driving!" If I had to count I clearly remember 5 empties, 2 in my hands and 2 in the bucket in front of me. (This was half way though dinner.) I know I had more beer but again, I wasn't counting...

I'm glad none of you knew me when I did this on a regular basis. I wasn't always as responsible as I am now :-)

1 Comments:

At Tue Nov 07, 10:14:00 PM 2006, Blogger Michelle said...

I can't wait to hear more! What great memories! I'm glad they discovered the engine problem BEFORE takeoff! Yikes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home