Sunday, November 19, 2006

Winners never quit. Quitters never win!

Changing direction or strategy is acceptable. Quitting is not.

How will you succeed by quitting/not trying? What will you accomplish? What will you learn?

In my experience, I have never succeeded at anything, accomplished anything, or gotten ahead without effort. Things have never "Just happened" for me without me taking action.

Quitting was not an option when I was growing up. My parents had their own business and if any of us quit…”How would the bills get paid? What about food on the table? The roof over your head? The clothes on your back?” Things weren’t as touch and go as that. But my parents scared (and scarred) my sister and I into thinking that way. So not working was never an option.

Growing up we were always told: “If you want something. You’ll have to work for it.”, “You’ll appreciate it more if you earn it versus having it given to you”. As a kid I thought this was some kind of crazy adult logic. Now that I’m an adult, I get it. My parents and grandparents were right. I do appreciate things more when I’ve had to work for them versus having it given to me. If I had not tried, I would have never accomplished as much or appreciated what I have.

Now that I’m older I think about my ancestors who came to this country with not much more than the clothes on their back. How they struggled to learn a new language and customs. How they worked to make a life for themselves and their family. They didn’t go back to the old country. They didn’t quit.

I’m not saying: ” I’ve never quit in my life.” Or “I’ve never stopped trying to do something.” What I am saying is “In most things in my life I’ve given a true 100% effort. My best shot. If I can’t do X after giving it my best shot then I tried a different strategy OR I moved on to something else.” I can’t just say ”I can’t do X.” without giving it my best shot.

I have no respect for quitters. Quitting and quitters bother me because I’m naive and tend to feel most people are capable of succeeding when they try. In my experience, most things are possible if you try. I’m not saying everyone can climb Mt. Everest, paint a masterpiece, cure cancer, end world hunger, or write a timeless classic. What I am saying is we are capable of doing some pretty amazing things if we put some effort into the task at hand.


That being said. Quitting certain things is OK: Self-destructive behavior (Smoking, illegal drugs, etc..). Spending time with low quality/bad people. Thinking negative thoughts. Worrying about things outside of your control…

5 Comments:

At Mon Nov 20, 03:31:00 PM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Wow. You're absolutely correct.

 
At Mon Nov 20, 07:09:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

PW: Yeah. I've never accomplished anything without attempting.

Sadly, just me being has not been enough...

 
At Mon Nov 20, 09:17:00 PM 2006, Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks for the kick in the butt I needed! Great post!

 
At Mon Nov 20, 10:09:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Michelle: Sure thing. It wasn't directed at you.

Just one of my musings. That's what happens when I have free time on my hands.

 
At Tue Nov 21, 10:00:00 AM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

No, it may not have been directed at anyone, but I sure could use it for NaNoWriMo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home