Thursday, July 06, 2006

Rant - Tailgating

I like to drive fast. I feel the posted speed is typically 10 MPH lower than it should be. I don't speed when it'll be hazardous to myself or others on the road. I think it's insane to weave in and out of traffic or drive on the shoulders of the road to get to where I'm going. (I've done that in the past when I was younger and dumber.)

With that said:

  • Why are you tailgating me? I don't drive an SUV so if you would bother to look in front of me there's got to be someone in front of me preventing me from going any faster. (Sorry cartoon physics do not apply in my reality. 2 objects can not occupy the same space without tremendous pain.) I tend to stay in the right lane unless I'm passing or going fast. So theoretically you should be able to pass me on the left

  • Why do you tailgate me as we're going through a turn or an exit ramp? I prefer cars with good to very good handling characteristics so I can take turns at higher speeds. Again if you were watching where you were going instead of counting the dust particles on my license plate you would have slowed down so you wouldn't need to hit your brakes as you're doing right now. Maybe you wouldn't need to change your underwear now either.

Tailgating is a safety hazzard. I know I don't leave as much space between me and the car in front of me as the driver's manual suggests for safety but I do try to leave a few car lengths depending on how fast I'm going. But some people think they're on the racetrack and need to draft the guy in front of them. Guess what NASCAR drivers are professionals. They drive for a living. And even they wreck!!

And just because I try to leave a little room between me and the car in front of me DOES NOT mean you're invited to pull into that gap. Now I'm tailgating you. Asshole!

3 Comments:

At Thu Jul 06, 10:52:00 PM 2006, Blogger Michelle said...

I love your rant. It's so true. I have no patience for stupid drivers.

 
At Fri Jul 07, 08:48:00 AM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Michelle: Stupid and dangerous!! They don't realize they can cause an accident by tailgating.

The last 3 accidents I've seen are related to not leaving enough distance between you and the car in front of you.

You can't be sure if the person in front of you is going to hit their brakes OR NOT. You assume that they will keep driving as long as all is clear in front of them but you can't be 100% sure.

 
At Fri Jul 07, 09:35:00 AM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Word! Word and double word!

Shut up and drive - SAFELY!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home