Friday, July 07, 2006

My Sister - The Amazing Grace!!!

My sister, The Amazing Grace, is going home today. She’s been staying at my house the past 2 weeks caring for my Dad. (He had a minor surgical procedure and has been recuperating at my house.)

I want to thank her for spending time with my Dad at the hospital, for grocery shopping, for picking up my Dad’s medications, for running errands while Hellcat and I were busy, for cooking dinner for everyone, and for being there for all of us.

We haven’t always gotten along. Is it’s due to spending too much time together working in our Dad’s restaurant growing up? (So we’re tired of seeing one another.) Is it due to us being very much alike so I may be picking on her for things I dislike about myself? Or is it simply due to us being siblings?

Most of the strain on our relationship is from me. I am Type A, driven, and critical. She is easy going. In my mind, I’ve always pushed hard to excel - she’s always done enough to get by. I know this last statement isn’t fair or true since she was like that in junior high and high school but has not been that way since. (So pardon me in remembering her as a teenager. I don’t always remember she’s an adult) And it’s also not true since she has a college degree, a cosmetology license, studied to be a dietician, a massage therapy license, and is teaching massage therapy. (This is part of the reason I call her The Amazing Grace.)

In my mind, there’s nothing we can’t do as long as we put our minds to it.

Knowing all this, I still pick on her, get disappointed at some of her decisions, and get annoyed at her mannerisms. What the hell is wrong with me?!?! I’m working on lightening up on her. I really am. Even Hellcat said I did pretty good for me over the past 2 weeks. I thanked The Amazing Grace this morning before she left and apologized for my boorish behavior.

This picking is something we learned from our parents. They are/were very tough. They broke everybody’s balls about everything. I’m going to save this for another post, but I think that’s where I got my Type – Aness and picking habit.

1 Comments:

At Fri Jul 07, 02:36:00 PM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

I think it comes with the terrority sometimes...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home