Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Insomnia

About once a month I get insomnia. I fall asleep OK. And then a few hours later…

H-E-L-L-O!!!

I’m wide awake!! Blink, blink. Ready to go!

Most of the time, I can get back to sleep in an hour or so. (Last night was one of those nights.) Sometimes, I’m awake the rest of the night.

When I was younger, I’d get mad about being awake. (This would start a vicious cycle since getting mad would make me more awake and less relaxed which would get me more perturbed, etc..) But through trial and error, I’ve learned what works for me is to lay there for a while and think about what I feel like doing: Relax & try to get back to sleep, get up and read, get up and watch TV, listen to music, workout, play on the PC. Is it too warm, too cold, do I have to go to the bathroom?

Whatever I choose, I try to be quiet and not move too much so that I don’t wake HC. That pisses me off more than being awake. She’s a light sleeper and needs as few distractions as possible in her sleep cycle.

I know sometimes the insomnia is due to my obsessing about something (a task, issue, vacation, event, shinny new something…) I get so wound up in my thoughts I can’t fall back to sleep. Sometimes my tinnitus really kicks in and it’s so loud it keeps me awake. (That really sucks! When the noise in my head is keeping me awake!)

I think sometimes I’m not meant to get as much sleep. I’ve noticed the wake ups usually happen when I go to bed earlier than usual.

Last night the answer was: stretch, do yoga, listen to music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home