Monday, January 15, 2007

Peanut update

It’s been a while since I wrote about my pinched up state. And the fact that I was going to try and let go of some of the peanuts.

  • I was feeling pressure: To be a good husband, to be a good son, to be a good worker. I was feeling like I was failing HC and my dad. So much going on but I was barely keeping on top of it.
  • Yes. It is/was all self-inflicted. HC made me understand I’m not failing her. We are doing OK financially. And she thinks I’m doing OK with my dad too.

Here’s an update:

I’m feeling better and trying to use my words when I’m feeling stressed about something. The trip to Toronto helped. We got to spend some time just the 2 of us. No outside distractions. Talking to my EAP counselor has helped. He’s given me some different perspectives on things.

I’m doing well with work. I’m OK with our financial situation. HC got a part time job in addition to pursuing her artistic dream. The Daddy-o is doing OK.

I know the big thing for me is not listening to the nagging, second guessing, doubting, neurotic, and worrying inner voices. This is the toughest part for me since they’ve been with me most of my life. Not that there isn’t some truth in what they are saying. BUT I’ve got to temper those thoughts with happier, playful, carefree thoughts. Life isn't all work, drudgery, and duty. I need to remember to laugh and enjoy myself on occasion.

3 Comments:

At Mon Jan 15, 09:38:00 PM 2007, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. It sounds like you recognize what's happening and you have a good plan of attack!

 
At Wed Jan 17, 10:42:00 AM 2007, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Word, Chowder, Word.v

 
At Thu Jan 18, 10:29:00 AM 2007, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Michelle & PW: Yes I'm feeling better about things.

It does help to recognize what's going on AND to have ways to cope with it.

Me holding it in and blowing up at HC is not good.

Me getting down on myself due to overly ambitious, self-imposed expectations is not good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home