Friday, January 19, 2007

HC’s birthday dinner

My Dad took us out to the Middle Road Inn for HC’s birthday dinner last night. The Middle Road Inn is a nice local bar & restaurant. No, it’s not as fancy as the Point Brugge Café but the food is good and the people are nice.

HC had a sandwich. The Daddy-o and I opted for their All-you-can-eat Crab Legs. My Dad and I were pigs! In our defense the Middle Road Inn enabled us to be pigs.

Usually if you go to an all you can eat place they start you out with a couple of crab leg clusters or ribs or fish fillets or wings. Then they’ll check in on you in 20 minutes or so. If you ask for more, they’ll bring you 2 or 3 more. The pace is usually slow. They’re hoping you’ll notice you were full 2 plates ago or tired of waiting before you eat all you can eat. Also they usually try to fill you up on sides or bread. (Gee it sounds like I’m talking from experience of something….Not like I’ve ever gone to all you can eat places.) I guess I should add glutton to my profile. I love food. Making it. Eating it.

The Middle Road Inn does not use this strategy, they start you off with a heaping plate of 6 crab clusters and bring out refills 6 clusters at a time. The crab legs were meaty, hot, and fresh. The meat was sweet. No need for the drawn butter.

Seafood tip: Fresh seafood does not smell or taste “fishy”.

Honestly, my Dad and I each had a plate and a half of crab legs. In the context of “all you can eat” that’s not that much. In the context of crab legs, that’s a lot-o-crab. In the context of watching what I eat and smaller portions, that was a lot of food.


I could’ve eaten more but the “smaller portions” voice in my head eventually became louder than the sound of cracking exoskeleton. So I couldn’t ignore it anymore and had to stop. Now that’s not to say I wasn’t full. I was full after the first plate… Some vices die H-A-R-D!!!!!!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home