Thursday, January 18, 2007

Awesome dinner last night

Neither of us felt like cooking last night. We were both in the mood for something different so I took HC out for a pre-birthday dinner to the Point Brugge Café last night.

I’ve got 2 words for you: Food Buzz!

You need to go!

C told me about this place a while back.

It’s a Belgium themed café. The food is really good and the atmosphere is nice.

So I filed it away under the “need to try” category. And as with so many things, I promptly forgot about it. Until last week when D brought this place up in an e-mail. I took it as a sign that I needed to look into this place.

So I went out to their web site and had a look. It sounded interesting. Something out of the ordinary. Different.

Let me tell you, HC and I had food buzzes going from the first bite of food to the last. This place is a best kept secret that shouldn’t be a secret. They were busy when we arrived at 7:30 so it may not be accurate for me to call this place a secret. (But I haven’t heard much press about this place unlike other local restaurants that are overexposed.) It’s a small place. Maybe 15 to 20 tables/booths. We had to wait 15 minutes for our table. So we had beers at the bar. The bartender was knowledgeable about the different beers on tap and in stock.

Belgium cafés are known for 3 staples: Frites (Belgium style french fries), Carbonnade Flamande, and Moules (Mussels).

I can confirm the Point Brugge Cafe:

  • Does have a European café feel. Small, but comfortable. Tables close together, but not right on top of one another. Friendly, knowledgeable, helpful staff.
  • The food is great. We started dinner off with side salads. Fresh mixed greens in a wonderful light vinaigrette. Very well done. HC had the Carbonnade Flamande which is roughly translated as Belgium style pot roast. It was very flavorful and fork tender. Who needs a knife when the meat falls away with the slightest touch of your fork?? Her meal came with frites so we were able to try those as well. They were good. Crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside. They still tasted like potatoes. I had the Chicken Milanese which was also very tasty. The chicken breasts were perfectly seasoned and pan fried. Crispy but not greasy. We didn’t have room to try the mussels but they looked really good. I saw many plates of mussels going to tables so I gather from that they were good.

The wine list was nice. Not huge, but a nice representation of varietals and countries. The prices for a glass/bottle of wine were very reasonable. Nothing over $40. Some selections rated at 90+ by Wine Spectator. The beer selection was extensive. A very large selection of Belgium beers (of course) and a nice representation of beers from around the world as well as US micro brews. So there’s something there to like for everyone.

You need to go! You deserve a food buzz!!!!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Fri Jan 19, 10:53:00 AM 2007, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Oh! I love that place! Doesn't it have awesome food!?!?s

 
At Fri Jan 19, 11:07:00 AM 2007, Blogger ChowderHead said...

PW: I love everything about the place: The people, food, drinks, and the atmoshpere. The owners hit it right on the mark!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home