Wednesday, October 04, 2006

HC’s Grandmother passed away yesterday evening

HC’s doing OK. Her grandmother had been in declining health the past few months. No major illness but when you’re in your mid 90’s everything adds up. Grandma had been wanting to go for over a year. She told us a few times.

One time we took her to the Penn Brewery for beer and potato pancakes. (Among her favorites) After dinner she said she thought it was going to be her last dinner out. She didn’t think she’d be able to go out anymore. It was too tough on her to get around. We told her it was OK. Maybe she was just having a bad day with her leg acting up. We also told her we’d bring dinners to her so she wouldn’t have to miss out on her favorites.

It turns out we were able to get her out a few more times but we could tell it was getting harder and harder for her to get in and out of the car, get out of the chair at the restaurant, etc…

We were also able to bring her take out a few times before her illness.

Anyways….

I’ve got mixed feelings right now. I’m happy for her since she’s freed from the burdens of failing health and a body that wouldn’t do as she wanted. I’m sad I won’t get to see her in person anymore. She had a good long life. Lived through a World War. (I remember her talking about the German soldiers sleeping in their front yard.) Emigrated from Lithuania. Made a life in a new country. Married. Raised her children.

I knew her for the last 9 years. And she was always nice to me. I admired her for the amount of independence she had at her age. She lived in an apartment connected to my In-Laws place. She cooked and cleaned for herself. Went out to dinner with us. Mostly blind and hard of hearing but that’s not too bad for as old as she was.

So yeah. Mixed feelings.

8 Comments:

At Wed Oct 04, 10:45:00 AM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Word.

Tell HC I'm sorry for her loss. I'm sorry for your loss as well.

 
At Wed Oct 04, 12:59:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

PW: Thank you.

How are you doing?

 
At Wed Oct 04, 06:52:00 PM 2006, Blogger Michelle said...

*Hugs* to you and HC. I'm so sorry for your loss. If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to ask.

 
At Thu Oct 05, 10:02:00 AM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

I'm at a loss. I feel terrible, but I feel okay because I know he's not in pain anymore.

Does that make sense?

 
At Thu Oct 05, 10:29:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

PW: That makes sense. I felt the same way about my mom and HC's grandmother.

I feel bad because they are not around anymore. Yet, I feel happy for them because they're not suffering anymore and are in a btter place.

Michelle: Thanks. We're doing OK right now.

 
At Tue Oct 10, 09:49:00 PM 2006, Blogger Trouble said...

I'm sorry for your loss, chowder and hc. It sucks to lose a grandparent. And, yeah, the feelings are so mixed. You're glad they aren't suffering anymore, but you miss them.

 
At Wed Oct 11, 12:06:00 PM 2006, Blogger Osquer said...

I'm so sorry to hear about HC's loss and your own, Chowder! Embrace those fond memories and she will live on through you and others who cared about her. She sounds like she was a grand old dame! (Dame being the female equivalent of knighthood, I mean that as a term of respect!) Let me know if there's anything I can do!

 
At Wed Oct 11, 05:56:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Trouble & Osquer: Thanks for your thoughts & words.

Yeah. She was a cool lady.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home