Thursday, February 08, 2007

End of a dream

Every since I was young I’ve wanted to be an astronaut. Maybe it had to do with watching the astronauts on the moon doing their thing. (I though it was the coolest.) Maybe it was the adventure of leaving this planet and exploring. Maybe it was the going really fast.

I realized I’d never be an astronaut because of my poor eye sight but I could always dream. I'd always have sci-fi (Stargate, Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Lost in Space, etc..)

Even after the first Space Shuttle disaster if you would have called me the next day and asked if I’d be willing to go up I would have said “Sure, when do you need me”. There will always be risks involved with space travel and I was willing to take my chances.

Anyways, after this week’s developments with the NASA astronauts and the revelation that they routinely wear adult undergarments on missions. My dream has officially ended. I didn’t think they had full toilet facilities on these flights but their solution is gross. I mean what about diaper rash?!?

So they’re telling me they just wear it. How long? For days? Or do you change it out?

Yes, I’m being weird. Zero gravity wouldn’t bother me. Lousy food I’d deal with. Bulky suits I’d deal with. But the sanitation situation. I'm not so sure about. So what else don’t I know about the space program and what they do differently in space versus on Earth?

No. I'm not a neat freak. HC will tell you that. (The battles she's had to get me to help her clean the house.) But hygene is something I do care about. I don't know. I'd need more details before I'd say "yes".

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home