Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Battle of my bulge

I love food. I love to eat. I love to cook.

Totally love it.

There's not much better than having a meal done well. It doesn't need to be Fillet Mignon. Or lobster. It can be a hamburger. It can be pizza. As long as it's done well.

A few years back my doctor said I needed to watch my weight and cholesterol. So it began. To maintain a healthy lifestyle, I’ve been trying to:

  • Exercise more. (It's sometimes tough to make time for this.)
  • Eat less (Very tough.)
  • Watch what I eat (This keeps me from dropping it on myself.)

These 3 things have helped me lose 20 pounds and keep it off for over 3 years.

The past 5 or 6 months I’ve slipped from my regimen and probably gained about 10 pounds back.

Why did I stop?

  • I got tired of always being careful
  • I had been stressed about LIFE & work.

When I’m stressed, I use food as a coping mechanism. (I know this and try to stop myself from doing it but… I also shop but that affects the wallet more than the body.)

I’m trying to get back to watching what I eat, how much I eat, and exercising. Boy I had forgotten how tough it is to break bad habits. It’s hard to stop at 1 serving of food. I’m on the see food diet after all right?!

But I have to do it.
My metabolism did this mean thing in my mid-thirties of slowing down. Before then I could eat as much of anything as I liked but not anymore.

Besides, I felt better. My clothes fit better. I have more energy. It's not that I'm grossly overweight or anything like that. My BMI is 25.1 so I'm barely in the "overweight" range. But the doctor said I had to.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At Wed Jan 24, 10:30:00 PM 2007, Blogger Nicole Carina said...

Hi, I found your blog from Secrets I Can't Keep's links. I know what you mean, my husband and I have been trying to be healthier but he's SUCH a good cook it's hard not to have seconds... and sometimes thirds.
We feel better when we work out but it's so hard to keep up with it.

 
At Thu Jan 25, 10:24:00 AM 2007, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Welcome to my blog & thanks for posting a comment.

It sounds like you 2 are in the same situation as my wife and I. Hectic schedules, love to eat, difficult to work out, good cooks.

Well, at least we're eating well!

Keep at it. Your health and well being are worth the effort.

 
At Thu Jan 25, 11:20:00 AM 2007, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Bah!

Oh, well. Watching one's weight is always difficult.

 
At Thu Jan 25, 07:25:00 PM 2007, Blogger Michelle said...

Word. Watching one's weight is a tough battle. I'm amazed at how much food has control over me. Maybe I'm still waiting for that "magic pill"! ;-)

 
At Thu Jan 25, 09:14:00 PM 2007, Blogger twobuyfour said...

What a nice blog you have here! *looks around*
I know exactly what you mean about the love for planning/cooking/eating a meal. There's a lot of satisfaction in that. Personally one of my recent favorites is a meatless "hamburger" patty on a toasted kaiser with sharp cheddar cheese and a spoonfull of salsa - lightly toasted so the cheese melts. MMM-good! Not complicated, but healthy and satisfying.

My best friend used to come over to our house when we were young just for my mom's tunafish/tomato/pickle/melted cheese on an open faced English muffin. Nothing fancy there, but good for you (if you don't mind mercury).

 
At Fri Jan 26, 09:08:00 AM 2007, Blogger ChowderHead said...

PW & Michelle: It's a constant fight for me to resist the temptation to have "Just one" or "Just a little bit more". I need to constantly remind myself I'm a creature of excesses and need to "Put my hands up and step away from the table."

2x4: Welcome to my blog. Glad you like it.

My wife and I try to have a meatless dinner at least once a week.

1 of our favorites is: meatless "hamburger" patty with cheese and salsa. How coincidental is that?

We like the Morningstar Spicy Black Bean patties. (The others are OK but these have a little more flavor. Even though we tend to highly doctor them up.)We cook then until they're a bit dryer & crispy so there's less of that meally texture that the meatless patties have. We caramelize onions to go with them. Then cheese and salsa. A mixed green salad to complete the meal.

Your Mom's sandwich sounds pretty good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home