Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Spreading the crap

Awesome weather last weekend. Now that Spring is finally here we’ve been itching to get outside and work on the lawn & garden.

Friday night I cut wood down to size for the chimnea. Chainsaw Good!!! Fire Good!!

Saturday morning I ran some errands. It was gorgeous but a little cooler than I wanted it to be for working outside. I was being picky. We’ve worked on the garden in the cold rain before. But I wanted to run around with HRH in the Miata. So any excuse will do.

We spent Saturday afternoon cleaning out flower beds & turning over the soil. FYI… Electric hedge trimmers make quick work of decorative grasses. (I learned this trick watching the people that maintain the gardens in town.) I used to cut the decorative grasses down by hand. It was time consuming and messy. Now it’s just a bit messy.

Saturday evening we ran out to Robinson Towne Center for dinner at Mad Mex and a little shopping.

Sunday morning we went to the North Park Pool parking lot to watch the car races. Yes. I said car races in the pool parking lot. I guess technically it’s not racing as much as autocross. But it was fun watching the different cars & drivers run through the obstacle course. I think I may take up autocrossing. All you need are a helmet and a valid driver’s license. I’ve got the 1 and need the other…

We had 2 yards of mushroom manure delivered Sunday morning so we came back from the races and started spreading the crap. It’s a lot of work but well worth the effort when it’s all said and done. The flower beds look nicer, moisture is retained better, and the plants grow better with the constant supply of food.


It was nice being outside. It was nice distracting myself from my current work funk. It was nice NOT thinking. It was nice to work with my hands.

Instant gratification. A few hours of work and POW!! The garden looks 10000% times better than before.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home