Tuesday, April 03, 2007

A little reminder

Every now and again I get a little reminder of my limitations. When my ego gets too big, life provides a little reminder.

Tonight the reminder was car work. Sure I can do some basic maintenance items (change the oil, change spark plugs & wires, fill the washer fluid, change the anti-freeze, change burnt out bulbs) BUT not much more complicated than this.

What did I do tonight? I tried to adjust the catch point of the clutch on the Miata. Sure you can pull up articles on the Internet on how to adjust your clutch AND they have pictures AND step by step instructions. BUT they didn't provide a warning that some of us reading this article should not be attempting this task. Some of us end up making a mess of things, getting all aggravated, feeling like an incompetent idiot. I was able to get the car in good enough shape to drop off at the neighborhood garage conveniently down the hill.

They'll get a good laugh when they read the "Describe the work that needs to be completed" section of the drop-off form. I feel like such a dumb ass for attempting something that was a bit out of my range. I guess the price for my arrogance will be the labor cost to fix my mess. It shouldn't take the mechanic more than an hour to get the shaft & the clutch pedal reconnected.

HC tells me I was quite the sight all contorted & all hanging out the floor of the car. I feel a bit contorted from my efforts. Oh well, I've learned my lesson. No more messin' with the car. That's why there are professionals that do that kind of work for a living...

I am not a grease monkey!!!!

3 Comments:

At Wed Apr 04, 03:57:00 PM 2007, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Yeah, a little reminder of one's personal limitations comes in handy every once in a while.

A friend of mine was changing the light plus in the house and for some reason we couldn't get it to work. So, after some frustation, we installed the old one and walked away from it

Later on, while I was about to do the dishes, I noticed all the lights were off in the kitchen. We had tripped the fuse and didn't even notice it.

 
At Wed Apr 04, 06:11:00 PM 2007, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Yep. It's good to be reminded of our limitations before we do really stupid things...

 
At Wed Apr 04, 07:55:00 PM 2007, Blogger Michelle said...

Sorry to hear about the car. I think it's a mean trick the powers that be play on us. Give us just enough ego to think we can do something and then BAM! yank that power away. Just know you're not alone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home