Thursday, April 05, 2007

Going away...

We've needed a break for a while AND we're going to get one.

We're going out of town for the weekend to the Clarion River Lodge.

Originally the plan was to go for some hikes and spa treatments. We'd go for a hike and let HRH be the rampaging fool he is. Now with the weather being less than ideal we'll hang out, relax, and do the spa treatments. HRH will just have to be OK with treats and hanging out.

We'll see what else there is to do up there but I'm going to take my Parachute book and Costa Rica book with me.

We haven't gone on a big vacation in a few years so we talked and are thinking Costa Rica to see the Rainforests and beaches. I figured it'd be wise to get an idea of what there is to see instead of just showing up in a strange country with no idea what they have to offer.

I'm also taking my CD player with some music and my Spanish tapes. I know I won't become fluent or even proficient in Spanish but I hope to understand a few words and make an attempt at speaking their language. One of the things I hate is us Americans assuming everyone speaks English and making NO attempts to learn the native language. The whole "If I say it loudly and slowly they'll understand what I want" mindset. I've found people are more willing to help and forgive you if you make even the slightest attempt to speak their language. Just show them a sign you think their language, culture, and values are as valid as your own and you'll be amazed how nice people can be. Case in point: We spent 2 weeks in France and the people were nice. No, I don't speak that much French but enough to be polite and to order from a menu and ask basic questions. They weren't my best friends but they were understanding and made every attempt to communicate and be nice.

As far as Spanish is concerned: I'm comfortable ordering from a menu, saying thank you, pardon me, good morning, good evening. But I'd like to learn more.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At Thu Apr 05, 10:42:00 PM 2007, Blogger Michelle said...

Have a wonderful trip! You guys definitely deserve the break. Enjoy yourselves!!

 
At Fri Apr 06, 08:57:00 AM 2007, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

I'm jealous! Have fun!

 
At Fri Apr 06, 09:54:00 AM 2007, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Michelle & PW: Thanks. I'll post about it when we get back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home