Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Riddle me this...Do you have reservations?

  • HC and I wanted to go out to dinner Monday night to stretch our vacation out 1 more night.
  • We decide to go to a place we've not been to in many years.
  • They've got great food but we just keep forgetting to go. We're creatures of habit and they're not part of the habit.

Sooo..... We get to the place and the hostess asks if we have reservations. We say "No" and she says the only seats available will be on their protected outdoor patio. We both look around the dining room and there are maybe 4 tables occupied at 6:30 on a Monday night. HC wasn't into it so we went across the street to another of our favorite restaurants and had an awesome meal.

What I don't understand is: Why do restaurants say they don't have any tables available when clearly they have tables available AND the wait staff is just standing around waiting for something to do? It's not like there were only 1 or 2 tables available. This place was empty save for 2 to 4 tables.

Anymore, when I get the "Do you have reservations?" question and they give me a hard time, I go some place else. There are so many good choices in Pittsburgh anymore. There's no need to wait or be blown off like that. Sure there are many times when you need to plan a night out and it's wise to make reservations. But I wouldn't think they'd be needed on a Monday night when you have many tables available.

This is 1 of my many pet peeves. I don't get it. I don't get it at all... maybe you can explain it to me...

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At Thu Apr 12, 11:59:00 AM 2007, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

I can't explain it to you. I just know that it pisses me off too.

 
At Thu Apr 12, 06:42:00 PM 2007, Blogger ChowderHead said...

PW: I'm glad I'm not the only 1 put off by that.

It's 1 thing if they are busy but there were just a couple of occupied tables.

Like I said. Anymore I just go some place else that's willing to seat me, make me a nice meal, and take my money.

 
At Thu Apr 12, 09:44:00 PM 2007, Blogger Michelle said...

I can't explain it either. But it's there loss for sure.

 
At Sun Apr 15, 01:30:00 PM 2007, Blogger Trouble said...

that seems so counterintuitive to keeping your business open...

 
At Mon Apr 16, 06:40:00 PM 2007, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Trouble: yes it does.. I don't get it so I thought I'd pose the question to you folks. I thought maybe you all could give me an explanation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home