Thursday, July 13, 2006

Money changes things

It’s not about the money.

I’m slowly coming to believe more money = more problems.

I look at some of my friends with money and their lives are much more complicated than mine: They work extreme hours. They never see one another. They substitute material possessions (retail therapy) for emotional intimacy. They buy material things to compensate for their inadequacies/insecurities. They buy all sorts of things for their children to try to fill the void/relieve the guilt. They seem to be working furiously to keep up with their life$tyle. They seem to be like rats on the treadmill running as fast as they can and s-l-o-w-l-y falling behind. I don’t want any of that!!! No thank you.

I look at these friends with the boats/houses/cars and notice they now have to expend what limited time and energy they have taking care of these things. (None of them are wealthy enough yet to hire people to take care of these things for them.) I also notice they don’t seem to be any happier or satisfied with their lives than I am. In fact they look the worse for the wear. Deer in headlights. Always haggard/frazzled running, running. Again, the rat on the treadmill running as fast as they can and slowly falling behind. Not able to keep up with the demands of their life$tyle.

What I want is a simple happy life. I don’t want to be a slave to my job. I don’t want a yacht. I don’t want a mansion. I don’t want a motorcycle. I don’t want the largest flat screen television known to man or woman. I don’t want a billion dollars (even though I keep saying I do).

What I want is to be comfortable. To not worry about bills or unplanned repairs to the house or car. To not worry about having vacation money. To spend time with my wife and friends. To be able to go out to a nice dinner once in a while. To stop and smell the roses. (OK. Since this is me. To stop and prune, arrange, spray, and then smell the roses.)

6 Comments:

At Thu Jul 13, 10:18:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Spud mcspud: Thanks for your comments. It helps to hear I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Sometimes it's very frustrating. Some days I think "Boy what being loaded would do to fix this".

It's easy to fall prey to the TV, radio, magazines that say "you need x to be complete". "You'd be cool if you had x". "You need to be in the race to get everything you NEED"

You're right! "I'd take peace of mind over a fat pile of dough any day." I'd rather be happy than busy worrying about money.

Money can buy you many things but it can't buy you true friends, love, peace of mind, class, happiness.

 
At Fri Jul 14, 07:03:00 AM 2006, Blogger Michelle said...

Chowder: Excellent post! I feel the same way - I just want enough to be comfortable. In case something happens with the house, I don't have to stress about where the money is coming from for repairs.

I would take my family and friends over money any day. They are the ones that make me happy!

 
At Fri Jul 14, 08:32:00 AM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Michelle: Exactly! "In case something happens with the house, I don't have to stress about where the money is coming from for repairs." I don't want Hearst Castle. I just want to be able to pay for any unforseen issues with the house, car, etc...

"I would take my family and friends over money any day. They are the ones that make me happy!" 1000% correct. Money comes and goes (too quickly) but your friends and family will be there.

In my previous comment I said "Money can buy you many things but it can't buy you..." Money also can't buy you style, self respect, respect for others, or intelligence."

 
At Fri Jul 14, 10:31:00 AM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Word.

I've always (secretly) said that I want enough money to live comfortably. Not extravagantly, just enough to pay bills monthly and have enough money left over so we don't feel like we're living hand to mouth.

 
At Fri Jul 14, 01:07:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

PW: 10000% correct! That's exactly what I want.

 
At Tue Jul 18, 11:30:00 AM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Mixi: Yeah. My day to day life isn't bad. It's the unexpected bills and the retire part that gets to me on occasion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home