Thursday, July 27, 2006

The value of Friendship

HellCat and I had a great time last night at dinner. Trouble was in town so Paperback Writer got a bunch of us (Loki, Michelle, Rob & Nancy, Osquer) together for dinner and laughs. The laughs started right away since our first dining choice was going to be noisy. We have a running joke/track record of choosing places to eat that don't work out.

Last night was a reminder of the nice, interesting, fun, original, diverse, caring, funny, creative, and genuine people I've met on the web these past few months. I know the Internet can be about anonymity and/or being someone else but these folks are real people. Real people with real feelings, opinions, experiences, issues, insights, and hang-ups. Just like me.

It was wonderful to hang out with these friends who I’ve come to know by reading their blogs and spending time with them. And they’ve come to know me by reading my blog or posts on their blogs.

Last night was a nice reminder for me not to be so jaded, skeptical, and cynical about people and the world. There are still good people out there. (I just need to give people a chance.) The world is not as messed up as I think.


Last night also reminded me of the value of friendship. Money can buy you many things but friendship isn’t one of them. These people took time out of their hectic lives to spend time with one another. To get caught up. To say “Hello. How are you doing? What’s new?”

PW, Rob, Osquer, and Trouble have all posted about last night more eloquently than I.

Friends like these are a good tonic for my heart and soul.

9 Comments:

At Fri Jul 28, 07:29:00 AM 2006, Blogger Michelle said...

Chowder: Awesome post! I couldn't have said it any better. I truly believe people come into our lives for a reason. I'm so thankful for my friends - you all are a wonderful support system. I look forward to many more get togethers and lifelong friendships!

 
At Fri Jul 28, 08:17:00 AM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Michelle: I agree. I think people do come into our lives for a reason.

 
At Fri Jul 28, 09:34:00 AM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Word, word, word, Chowderhead.

And hey, don't be so down on yourself regarding the eloquence of your words.

Happy Friday!

:)

 
At Fri Jul 28, 11:05:00 AM 2006, Blogger Osquer said...

Chowder, eloquence is as eloquence does! This is a great and heartwarming post!

The world is very messed up, but we must all keep in mind that there are still diamonds in these rough times and YOU ARE ONE OF THEM!

Hugs for you, Hellcat and HRH!

 
At Fri Jul 28, 01:08:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

PW & Osquer: Thank you for your kind words.

I've always felt awkward/insecure about my writing. I'm always unsure if my writing is clear and I am always curious if I get my point across.

 
At Fri Jul 28, 04:37:00 PM 2006, Blogger Trouble said...

Chowder,

I'm thrilled to have gotten to meet y'all. You have no idea how much your words of encouragement have meant to me at times.

 
At Fri Jul 28, 06:21:00 PM 2006, Blogger Michelle said...

Chowder: You have NOTHING to worry about when it comes to your writing! I love your blog! Today's post just confirms why. :)

 
At Fri Jul 28, 09:49:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Trouble: I'm glad I could be of encouragement.

I love your posts. Some of them are very touching and beautiful. Others are fun/funny. Some are filled with pain and anger (It helps to let it out. Don't let that stuff poison your heart and soul.)

That's what friends are for: To listen. To share. To encourage.

 
At Fri Jul 28, 09:56:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Michelle: Thanks for your words of encouragement.

I think the more I write the more comfortable I will become.

I'm not so good at expressing how I feel or what I'm thinking so hopefully blogging will help. HellCat always reminds me to "Use my words".

Writing for work doesn't bother me nearly so much. I guess it's "Just the facts" and tends to be bullet points.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home