Thursday, August 03, 2006

Funk & frustration fighting

I’m trying to fight the onset of a work & money funk.

Work funk: I don’t know what I want to do when I grow up.

Most of the time, I like what I do for a living. I don’t love it but I like it. It pays decently well, it’s legal, it’s easy compared to what I’ve had to do growing up, and I mostly like the people I work with & for. But every so often, I get restless. I wonder what I’m supposed to be doing with my life. Shouldn’t it be something more fulfilling? Shouldn’t I love it. Shouldn’t it be for more than a paycheck? Shouldn’t I be doing something to better society? I can’t imagine doing what I currently do for the rest of my work life B-U-T until a better alternative comes along I have to stay put.

I know the funk is partially due to boredom and partially due to burnout. I’ve been doing my job for 6 years now and may be in need of a change. Variety is the spice to my work life. A new challenge is always good. New & different stimulus. When I started, I was part of a team of 9 people. I am now the team. No I’m not doing the work of 9 people. But I am doing the work of at least 2 or maybe 3 people and the thing that really stresses me out is I have no back-up. So if I’m out (sick, vacation, or at a site) no one is picking up the work. The other people in my department do similar but different work. So I could call on them to help but I’d have some teaching/explaining to do before they can help.

Typically what happens is: If they’re not sure who should get a particular assignment it goes to the ChowderHead. I feel like Dirty Harry. I get all the strange and tough assignments. (I feed off this so it's cool.) So yeah I do get some variety. But the projects are starting to repeat.

Money funk/frustration: I’m working my ass off but I don’t feel like I’m getting ahead financially. The job pays well. But some months I feel like I’m living paycheck to paycheck. I get raises every year. (I know they are above average for my department) I hate being a bitch baby... But I still feel frustrated that I need to be mindful of my spending and saving. Please understand, I’m not buying big ticket items every day/week/month but I still need to be careful. (Just in case the house needs a repair or the car needs to be repaired or HRH needs to go to the vet.) It’s very frustrating. I wish I were more financially comfortable. Yes, I do have IRA's and a 401K but I can't touch that money. I'm talking about money to be used on everyday items. A nice dinner once in a while. A new electronic gadget on occassion. Sushi night with friends. A concert when a band I like comes to town.


Like I previously posted, I know money can’t buy me happiness but I’d be OK with winning the Lotto and trying my damnedest to be a smiling fool all the way to the bank!


I know my life is pretty damn good: I've got good solid people around me. A roof over my head. Clothes on my back. Food in my stomach. A good job. But there are times I want more.

I know it's just the funk talking...

7 Comments:

At Fri Aug 04, 01:19:00 PM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

I know exactly how you feel.

 
At Fri Aug 04, 02:31:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

PW: It makes me crazy. I didn't think I was going to be a millionaire at this age but I thought I'd be a little better off.

And work: I just found out yesterday evening that one of the "Go to" people here is leaving. He's had his fill. He's had enough. So morale around here is pretty low.

They re-org'd a few months back and now no one knows who to go to for things. Things don't seem to get handled as quickly as they used to. What a mess.

 
At Sat Aug 05, 02:36:00 PM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Like I said, I know how you feel. Maybe it's time to seriously think about a new job?

 
At Wed Aug 09, 06:35:00 PM 2006, Blogger Michelle said...

Chowder: I'm sorry to hear you're in a funk. I've been there as well as times. It will pass. Things happen for a reason and everything will work out the way it's supposed to be. Listen to your gut and let it guide you in your decisions. You know I'm here for you if you need anything. :-)

 
At Fri Aug 11, 10:12:00 AM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Michelle: Thank you. I know this feeling will pass. I'm not going to make any rash moves. I've been lucky. Most of my past job moves happened for a reason. things lined up and made sense. So I'm not going to jump before things are right.

 
At Fri Aug 11, 12:13:00 PM 2006, Blogger Trouble said...

When it's the time to go, you'll know. Things do happen for a reason, although at the time we don't always know why.

 
At Mon Aug 14, 09:53:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Trouble: Thanks. I know you & Michelle are right. I'm just venting a little now.

Some days it's difficult to go to work. Silly decisions, silly people, just plain silly.

But a Chowder does what he needs to...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home