Monday, August 14, 2006

Whatever happened to respect & consideration for others?

These annoyances have been floating around in my head for a while. Please bear with me. I'm channeling my inner 2 to 3 year old...

Car related:
  • Why don’t people straighten out their cars in parking spots? Do they really need to park all wonky and almost against other people’s cars? Aren't you worried about your car? Maybe the other guy isn't as expert a driver as you surely are.
  • Are turn signals that difficult to comprehend how to operate? Turn signals are not only polite but a safety feature. It's a good idea to let people know what you intend to do with a couple thousand pounds of moving metal.
  • When was the PA Motor Vehicle Code been changed to only require you to slow down instead of come to a stop at Stop signs? And whatever happened to taking your turn at 2 way, 3 way, and 4 way stops? Does being on a cell phone allow you to be first to make your move?

Bus etiquette:

  • I don’t want to hear your cell phone conversation. I don’t need to know about you and your activities. I hate taking calls on the bus. I usually make them as short as possible since it’s so noisy I can’t hear the other person well AND it’s a public place so everyone can hear my business. Yes, we Americans place a high value on personal space and privacy. So give me mine!
  • Why must you put your feet/shoes on the bus seats? If you put your feet up on the furniture at home that’s fine. I don’t care. But don’t put your feet/shoes on the bus seats. I don’t need to have what’s on the bottom of your shoes on my pants. Besides, you paid for 1 seat not 2 or 3.
  • You paid for 1 seat not 2 so why don’t you move over when the bus is full? Why do you need to be asked to move over? Why do you have that surprised look on your face when someone asks to have a seat? If you want/need the extra space, don’t take public transportation!
  • There is no eating on the bus. Eat before you get on the bus. The bus is dirty and smelly enough without you adding to the aromas. There’s nothing like the smell of french fry grease to make me want to wretch.
  • Why do you think it’s appropriate for you to leave your food wrappers, old receipts, newspapers, chewing gum, and soda cans/bottles lying about? Pick up after yourself!
  • Why must you stand at the front of the bus obstructing the way of everyone trying to get on/off the bus when there is room towards the middle and back of the bus? It’s one thing if you’re going to be getting off the bus in a stop or 2 but you stand there for 35 minutes! People shouldn’t need to squeeze past you. Do you get some kind of perverse pleasure out of people rubbing against you trying to get on/off the bus? Get out of the way!

3 Comments:

At Tue Aug 15, 09:43:00 AM 2006, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Word.

 
At Tue Aug 15, 11:07:00 AM 2006, Blogger Osquer said...

A resounding AMEN!

 
At Tue Aug 15, 01:16:00 PM 2006, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Thanks to both of you. It helps to see that I'm not alone with these thoughts & feelings. Sometimes I think it should hurt to be that inconsiderate or stupid. And the level of pain should be commensurate with the offence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home