Monday, March 05, 2007

Concert, Movie, Show ettiquete 101

I've been witness to some behaviour the past couple of concerts I've attended that has motivated me to write this post:
  • Turn off your cellphone/pager/PDA. If you need to be in contact that much, maybe you don't have time for a concert, movie, show. Maybe you are just too damn important. (I doubt it) It's simply rude, ignorant, and inconsiderate. If you DO need to have it on, set it to silent or vibrate. And when it goes off, take it outside. The rest of us who paid good money want to enjoy the show NOT hear you on the phone. Last night I saw a couple of people text messaging during the concert. Give me a break. Again, if you need to be in that constant a level of contact, you don't have time for the show. Might I suggest you stay home? No they weren't talking so it wasn't as distracting or rude as talking but still very pathetic that they couldn't enjoy the concert for what it was and needed additional activities/stimulus. I sometimes wonder if they remember what life was like without all these extra encumberances.
  • No talking please. I don't mean the occasional comment or chuckle. I mean the constant conversation. If you need to talk, get up and step out of the venue. It's one thing to laugh about something on the screen or something the entertainer said. But for you to sit there and go on and on. That's plain rude, ignorant, and inconsiderate. Some of us actually want to hear what's going on.
  • No eating please. It's OK at the movies or at a club. It' OK if you're discreet about it. BUT please DO NOT sit next to me and crinkle the plastic wrap on your box of goobers or whatever you're trying to contend with for 5 minutes!!!! If you don't know how to work the packaging, maybe you don't need it bad enough. Last night this moron was messing around with his box of candy for the first 5 minutes of the show. I stared at him twice. (The good long searing stare.) He was too stupid and/or clueless to get the hint. I was about to say something to him when he finally defeating the packaging. WTF?!? In this country most of us could skip a meal or 2. There's a reason we're the most obese country in the world!! It's not like he would have died if he didn't have his chocolate snack.
  • Show up on time. It's rude, ignorant, and inconsiderate to interrupt the performers and audience that bothered to be there at the appointed time. The time is clearly printed on the tickets. Most vehicles have clocks in them. Use them!!! Maybe it's just in Pittsburgh that you will be admitted when you arrive late. I know for the symphony you have to wait until they're done with a movement or a piece. I know in New York they don't let you in until a break when a show has started. Here in Pittsburgh, no problem show up whenever you like. We'll open the door and let you in. 15 minutes late, 30 minutes late, not a problem.

So what are some of your pet peeves?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Tue Mar 06, 10:58:00 AM 2007, Blogger Law Girl said...

AMEN!!! I second ALL of the above and may I add the following:

Your coat does not require its own seat. Unless you buy a ticket for your coat. Then again, your coat is probably a better audience member than you are...but still.

DO NOT, under any circumstances, put your feet ON my seat. On the back of my seat, on the arms of my seat, hook your toes on the bottom of my seat and twitch, none of it. It will make me want to shoot you.

Most theatrical productions have a special afternoon production special for kids. Friday night is not the time to take little one year old Johnny to see Les Mis. Get a sitter. I'll pay for it.

 
At Tue Mar 06, 01:54:00 PM 2007, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

No, I think that about covers it. If I do go into it I will have to start ranting about drivers. Their bad behavior. How they multitask in the car. That sort of thing.

But well put CH. Well put.

 
At Fri Mar 09, 10:43:00 AM 2007, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Law Girl: Thanks for adding those items. I'd forgotten about them. They bug me too.

I've never seen anyone leave their coat in place when the rightful ticket holder shows up so it's a momentary irritation. And it doesn't bother me when the venue has seats available. But if the place is getting full or if that's my seat your coat is in. Well, that's another story.

I'm totally with you on the seat thing. It's totally rude. Why do I want your dirty shoe prints on any of my clothes?!? What you do at home is your business but you're NOT at home! I'm the same way about airplane seats. That seat is mine! DON'T touch it. No bumping, kneeing, grabbing, pushing!!

Kids: You're right. There are appropriate times and places to take kids. Les Mis or something along those lines ain't it.

PW: You may have inspired my next rant. Drivers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home