Sunday, March 25, 2007

Chowderhead 101 - Restlessness

Restless, hyper, all over the place, fidgety. These have all been used to describe me. I get that way. I’m always curious. Always wondering “Why”, “Why not”, “How”, “What’s next”. I hate feeling like I’m stuck in a rut. I want to experience things. I always want new stimulus. New challenges. I want to be out in the world seeing/doing. I’m never satisfied. I feel stifled otherwise. And then I get cranky!!!

My restlessness is currently manifesting itself with my job.

All my life, I’ve been taught to focus on a good paying job with good benefits. But now I’ve become restless/dissatisfied and need/want more. I want a job I LOVE. OR at least a job I see value in other than paying the bills and keeping us alive. (I don’t need to save the world but a job that’s more meaningful/satisfying would be nice.) I’ve always known what I am currently doing isn’t what I want to do the rest of my working life. I like it mostly but I don’t LOVE it. It pays the bills and it pays well. Most days I’m happy to get up and go to work. But the past few years it’s been out of duty and responsibility as opposed to looking forward to being there doing my thing.

The disorganized, poorly thought out project I’m working on is really bringing these feelings to the surface. Most of the time I can ignore these thoughts and feelings. OR rationalize that a good paying job with benefits is more important. But my dissatisfaction has been building up for a bunch of years now and I think it's finally reached critical mass and can’t be ignored anymore.

We’re at a good point in our lives to think about these things. Financially, we’re secure enough for me to make a change. Life wise, we’re not particularly tied down to any lifestyle we need to maintain. No kids to support. No particular place we have to live. We feel secure enough in ourselves and each other that change will be OK.

We’re not wealthy so some kind of money making proposition is required. But now I need to figure out what I want to do next? So what’s next? What to do? What to do?

Step #1: Read What Color is your Parachute? And go through the exercises.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Mon Mar 26, 11:17:00 AM 2007, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

I know exactly what you mean.

Good luck.

 
At Tue Mar 27, 08:54:00 AM 2007, Blogger ChowderHead said...

PW: Thanks. Work is starting to get better. I think the worst of it is over.

Now I have time to think about what's next. And take my time to make the right move.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home