Sunday, March 18, 2007

Out of the Monkey Trap

Yes. I had a tough week at work. But even without this week I’ve been getting burned out with my job over the past couple of years. Usually it’s just a temporary funk I get into but underneath it all I know this isn’t what I want to do the rest of my life. I make a good living and we're comfortable so why rock the boat? I haven’t acted because I didn’t know what I want to do next.

I’ve ridden out the past couple of job related funks. But this time it feels different. I feel a little readier to truly think about & explore my options. Part of it is, I don’t see corporate life changing for the better. This crappy project is not a 1-time anomaly. The projects in the future will be following this mold. I see them all becoming less thought out, hurried, and poorly executed. (That kind of stuff eats at me like nobody’s business!!)

So it’s time to move on. But what to do? What to do? What’s next?

HC and I were talking about this at breakfast Saturday morning. She’s very supportive of the idea of me finding what I want to do next. What I love to do. The whole “Do what you love the money will follow” philosophy.

Maybe it’s time for me to get out of my comfort zone. Time to let go of corporate America. Get out of the Monkey trap by letting go of the peanuts and try something else.

So now the hard part is on me. To sit down and really think about what I want to do next.

Hummmm..

I like to travel. I like meeting new people. Going to new places. Gaining new experiences. New stories to tell.

Yes, I’ve always liked to travel and going places on someone else’s expense has always been a plus. (That’s part of the reason I like my current job.) Buuut I didn’t know how to translate this interest into a viable job. Aaannnd I’m not about to make any kind of move until I know what’s next.

So how about a job as a travel agent? They get to go places on someone else’s expense. You’ve got to see the places and hotels before you can recommend them. I think I’ve got some good qualifications: willing to travel, speak more than 1 language, know phrases from several languages, been to Asia, Europe, Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean. I have no idea what all I have to do to become 1 but I need to start looking.

Or how about a job that involves tasting food & wine? I think I’ve got a reasonably refined palate. I'll need to work on my writing skills but I think my passion for food & drink are a strength. Again, no idea what’s involved in getting a job doing this sort of work but research is in order.

No matter what, I’m getting restless and it may be time to stop ignoring these feelings.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At Mon Mar 19, 09:11:00 AM 2007, Blogger Rob Carr said...

Nancy did some...I forget the correct term...career therapy?...while she was a therapist. She'd obviously be willing to talk to you, but my guess is she'd suggest you go to someone who still works in that field.

You've got serious chops; you can get an amazing variety of jobs should you wish that would both fit your interests, use your talents, and pay well.

While you're at it, buy a copy of "What Color Is Your Parachute?" It's a must read.

I'm assuming you know that while you have a job is the best time to look for a job. We just helped someone look for a job while unemployed. Sucked but accomplished.

If a blue-collar worker had headhunters looking for him, imagine what interest you'd generate!

 
At Mon Mar 19, 05:36:00 PM 2007, Blogger ChowderHead said...

Rob: Thanks for your vote of confidence. I'll need to pick up that book and start looking through it.

Yes I know while I have a job is the best time to look for a job. I left a job before having another 1 lined up once. It was tough. I'm NOT going to repeat that again.

 
At Wed Mar 21, 09:40:00 AM 2007, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

I will second that opinion. I think you've been ready for a career change for a while..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home